Pookie

Sunday, July 8, 2012

"Wishes"

The magic behind such a touching story

**If you have a box of tissues close, I would suggest grabbing a few now**

Every night, Disney World's Magic Kingdom puts on a spectacular fireworks presentation called "Wishes."  Behind every Disney tale is a dream: Snow White is looking for her prince, Cinderella longs for life without rags, Ariel wishes to see the world beyond the sea, Pinocchio longs to be a real boy, etc.  Disney wants everyone to believe in their dreams no matter how small.  Dreams conquer over all.  "Dreams come true!"

One night as I was watching the fireworks, thinking of all the dreams I have and wishing for them to come true, one of my fellow Cast Members told me how "Wishes" came to be:

There was a young girl whose dream was to be a recording artist.  This little princess was diagnosed with leukemia and had only a few months to live.  When the Make a Wish Foundation heard of this, they partnered with Disney, who was in the process of creating a new light show.  The plan was to kick off Disney's first "Wishes" presentation with this lovely song sung by a young girl wishing for her voice to be heard among hundreds.  Just days before this song was to premiere, unfortunately, she passed.  Now, every night, her voice rings out throughout all of Magic Kingdom so that millions can hear her.

This same Cast Member also said that one night she stood beside a man who cried the whole show.  When she mentioned how "Wishes" always made her cry too, he replied, "It is even harder when that is your daughter."

I can feel this little girl's spirit with me every night.  I get chills; I cry; I know she is watching the fireworks with us.  Her legacy will live on, just as Walt's will.  She is an inspiration.

Embrace her spirit,
Snow White

No comments:

Post a Comment