Pookie

Friday, August 17, 2012

911. What is your emergency?


One of many firsts I had here at Disney.

A woman comes up to me and tells me that her daughter has sprained her ankle and would like first aid. In my first few weeks of training, I understood that there was a number I could call to have first aid come to me if necessary. I searched, but I could not find this number. I called my manager and he said that he would be over with a wheelchair so that the guests could make their way over to First Aid themselves. When I went up to the family to tell them of this news, I saw that the daughter was 6 or 7 and was sitting in a stroller. Obviously, a wheelchair was not needed in this situation.

I stopped my manager and told him that they need first aid to come to them. He answered with, "Call 911." Stunned I said, "Really? That's the number??" I don't know what my brain was telling me, but when I called 911 I thought I was calling Disney's independent first aid service. 

"911. What is your emergency?"
"We have a guest with a sprained ankle."
"Where is the emergency?"
"Space Mountain."
"Where is Space Mountain?"
"Tomorrowland ... " *I mean really?! You work for Disney and you don't know where Space Mountain is??*

Question after question, I did not know the answer. "How old? When did this happen? Where is she now?" It was just a sprained ankle and I was terribly confused why he needed to know how much blood there was! Like the dumb teenager I am sure he thinks I am, I said "Is this legit 911?!"

When he told me that it was, my hands started to sweat.  My heart started to race.  I became so hot.  I didn't mean to call 911.  I just need first aid!!!  Nervously, I apologized and explained that I thought this was a Disney service.  He understood and said that he calls the Disney team to come to me.

With that done, I returned to the family and waited for the medics.  Once they arrived, they begin to check her ankle and we created a barrier so that their work was not disturbed.  As soon as the medic starts to touch the girls ankle, she becomes livid.  She is absolutely terrified and does not want anyone near her.  My manager looks and me and tells me to go back inside and get her a stuffed animal to take home.

Best job ever!  I run inside and grab the one stuffed animal we have in Space Mountain.  Disney has an online game called Club Penguin and their sidekicks (I guess) are Puffles - blobs of fur in assorted colors and emotions.  I could tell from her wardrobe that her favorite color was pink, so I grabbed the pink Puffle with a smile on its face.  I ran back outside excited to give her a new playmate.

I got down on my knees and said, "Mickey told me to give you this!  He says, 'Whenever you feel sad, give him a big hug and know that I love you!'"  She was stunned and said, "I get to keep it?"  She look genuinely grateful.

I don't know where she is now, or if her ankle is better.  But I do know that Mickey and that Puffle are making her smile.


Flying with Pixie Dust,
Snow White

1 comment:

  1. You handled the "stuffed toy moment" beautifully with that little girl! Not surprised!

    ReplyDelete