Pookie

Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Magic in the Moment

What a crazy few days it has been!  I feel like I haven't stopped running since I moved in.  The days are long, but very rewarding.  As of Wednesday, I am name tag official!  It is such an honor to be apart of such a wonderful Disney Family.  I have met so many great leaders and comrades; we all work together so fluidly to perform the best show.

Thursday was my first training day.  I learned of the many sides to Disney and came across many learning opportunities.  My trainer, Layla, was such a joy.  We laughed all day and I am so happy to have met her.  This was the day I was to receive my costume and walk through Tomorrowland to begin to familiarize myself with the merchandise.  My costume consists of a simple space cadet-like button up shirt and black shorts.  I am lucky to have this costume when compared to other hostesses with long skirts and long sleeved blouses.  With this costume, I should stay cooler, longer.  The best parts of the day were when I would run into a princess.  Layla could immediately tell when there was a princess in the room from my quick lack of attention.  She said one time after passing Belle, "You are turning bright red!"  Although a young adult, this is the magic of Disney - turning the adult into the young child again.  Every time I see a character, I am awestruck.

Friday was such a blast!  I decided to venture away from the apartment and explore for myself.  Learning the job is learning your surroundings, so, of course, I studied in Hollywood Studios.  Although not my park, it is helpful to be knowledgeable of the surrounding parks in case a Guest is curious of other opportunities.  I studied at The Little Mermaid Live Show, Animation Studios, One Man's Dream, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Fantasmic, and Rockin' Roller Coaster .... 3 times!  Little Mermaid was glorious!  The black light was brilliant and the puppeteers were so fluid with their fish.  Ariel had a wonderful and soothing voice that melted my heart.  Next time, I hope to see Indiana Jones and Beauty and the Beast; I also hope to study hard like this again, soon!

Today, was the first hands on day for the newest Merchandising team.  We were able to work with the cash registers and learn the Disney way to count.  This was much fun as I thought back to my childhood when I would go to The Children's Museum only to play with the cash register.

I see my days getting busier, but I am happy to put together such a wonderful show for our Guests.  One day, I was inside the Magic Kingdom when the doors were first opened and the magic rang of such glory.  As my body went numb from excitement and tears started flowing down my cheeks, I realized this is where I belong.  I belong in a place of magic and service.  The faces of kids from ages 1-100 make our job worth it.


Living the Dream,
Snow White

2 comments:

  1. Snow White, I am enjoying your blog. I will check it often, just in case it is a more than once a week kind of news week. That will be a good reminder to pray for you, too. I am looking forward to hearing about and celebrating what God is doing in your life during your Disney days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly are living the dream! I get butterflies with each blog you have written - I look forward to each new one! I will keep you in my prayers!

    Jan Grepares

    ReplyDelete